Requirements of the trainee
- You must pay an application fee.
- You can only be a trainee whilst taking higher education. The education must be at a foreign educational institution.
- You cannot have completed your education. In such cases, you must instead apply for a permit as a skilled worker. You cannot have a stay as a trainee at the start of your studies either.
- The purpose of the traineeship must be to get practical training as a part of your education.
- Normally, you cannot previously have been an intern, or have worked in the same field as the one you are going to intern in.
- You must have somewhere to live.
- You must have turned 18 years old when you apply, and not have turned 30 years old.
- The circumstances in your home country must indicate that it is likely that you can return home when you have completed your trainee period.
Requirements relating to the trainee period
- You must have received a concrete offer of full-time employment as a trainee.
- The work you do during the trainee period must be relevant to your education.
- You can either be paid or receive a grant. Your pay must not be less than is normal in Norway:
- If you are to work in an industry in which a collective agreement applies, you must be paid the collective wage rate for trainees. You can receive a grant instead of pay.
- If you are going to work in an industry in which no collective agreement applies, your pay cannot be poorer than what is normal for a trainee in your occupation in the place you are going to work. You can receive a grant instead of pay.
- You can only have one employer.
- You are not allowed to work remotely unless it is part of the job you have been granted a residence permit to do.
Rights and obligations for applicants who are granted a permit
How to apply
- You can be granted a residence permit for up to six months. In very special circumstances, you can be granted a residence permit for up to 12 months.
- You cannot renew your residence permit.
- Your spouse or cohabitant and children can usually apply to come and live with you in Norway. If your family members apply at the same time as you, you will receive the answer to your applications at the same time.
- The period you have this permit does not count if you later wish to apply for a permanent residence permit.