Researcher with own funds

The term researcher refers to a person with a master's degree who is to engage in research.

Please note! If you are a researcher who has an employer in Norway, you must apply for a residence permit as a skilled worker.

Requirements of the researcher 

  • You must pay an application fee.
  • You must carry out research at a Norwegian university, university college, institute or similar.
  • You must have enough money to live on. This means at least

     NOK 13 790 per month, or NOK 151 690 per year 

    for the entire academic year. This money may consist of pay from a foreign employer, a grant from abroad or Norway, own funds that you have in your account, or a combination of the above.
  • You may receive a grant instead of pay. The grant must correspond to the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund's (Lånekassen's) basic support for full-time studies for higher education, i.e. for the academic year 2024/2025, at least 

    NOK 13 790‬ per month

  • You must have somewhere to live.
  • The circumstances in your home country must indicate that it is likely that you can return home when you have completed your studies. 

Rights and obligations for applicants who are granted a permit

  • If you are granted a permit, you will also be granted permission to work part-time 20 hours per week, including remote work, in addition to your research and full-time during holidays.
  • Your spouse or cohabitant and children can usually apply to come and live with you in Norway. If your family members apply at the same time as you, you will receive the answer to your applications at the same time. 
  • The period you have this permit does not count if you later wish to apply for a permanent residence permit.