Employee of a humanitarian, non-profit or religious organisation

You who are going to work in Norway for a maximum of 14 days and are employed in an organisation who carries out international humanitarian work

Some employees of organisations who carry out international humanitarian work do not need a residence permit for short work stays in Norway. Check whether you need a residence permit.

Requirements of the employee

Requirements relating to the employment relationship

  • You must have received a concrete offer of full-time employment from an established organisation.
  • The purpose of the organisation must be to carry out non-profit, humanitarian or religious work. This means that the organisation's main object must be to help people or to carry out other non-profit work. The organisation can make a profit, but its main object cannot be to make money.
  • You have to carry out non-profit, humanitarian or religious work for the organisation.
  • You must come to Norway as part of an international exchange programme, or because the organisation needs foreign labour.
  • You cannot work as a religious leader/teacher: in such case, you must apply for a residence permit for religious leaders/teachers.
  • The pay and working conditions must not be inferior to what is normal for your occupation in the place you are to work in Norway. UDI can accept low pay or no pay if this is normal for your occupation in the place you are to work.
  • The pay you receive must be enough to live on in Norway, and you must have a place to live. If you receive low pay or no pay, the organisation you are to work for must cover free board and lodging, as well as cover your return ticket. 

Rights and obligations

  • If you are to change jobs or employers, you must apply for a new permit.
  • You can be granted a permit for one year at a time, for a total of maximum four years.
  • The period you have this permit does not count if you later wish to apply for a permanent residence permit. 
  • Your spouse or cohabitant and children can usually apply to come and live with you in Norway. If your family members apply at the same time as you, you will receive the answer to your applications at the same time.